Sunday, January 11, 2009

Washington DC

I finally made up my mind and moved out to Washington D.C. I am student teaching at Duke Ellington School of the Arts. For those of you who know me personally, a school of the arts is the perfect place for me. The students just love to entertain! Life out here is very different from Provo but so far incredibly enjoyable.

  • I live with seven other girls in a penthouse in Arlington, VA. Now penthouse conjures images of grandeur and class--while this may be true, no matter how big an apartment is, eight girls is a whole lot.
  • Without a car, I am becoming very adept at using the metro and bus system. However, after numerous attempts to get to school by myself the other day I ended up on completely the wrong bus and the driver had to take a different route just for me. Sweet old man.
  • We have an amazing mall nearby that harbors my mother ship-Nordstroms, and finally we found a grocery store just on the other side of said mall. Yesterday, on my way home from the grocer, laden down with shoes numerous bags, I decided it a perfect time to spend an hour trying on shoes at Nordy's. The groceries occupied an entire couch, but how convenient that all my basic needs can be met in one trip!
  • I caved to the liberal atmosphere that surrounds me and bought an Obama t-shirt. As a justification, this is one of a kind and was designed by a former student at my school. I had to support--don't judge
  • As it turns out I should have had a T.B. test before moving out here. So I spent an evening running around a sketchy part of town looking for someone to shoot me up with a small amount of consumption. Success! I have concerns about what disease they actually injected into my arm.

It's only been a week but it has been a long one. It is getting close to inauguration so I am frantically trying to find a senator's son to invite me to one of the balls. If not, I will just proudly don my Obama shirt and join the masses at the parade. This is definately an adventure.

5 comments:

Brock and Arrienne said...

Hey Krissy! You look absolutely fabulous and it sounds like you are loving it. I love reading your updates and I sincerely hope you get an invite to the ball. Maybe a fairy godmother will help you out. Oh and I loved the visual of you dropping your groceries on a couch in nordstrom. It reminded me of the time we were picking our zits at Sacs in New York (which Bonnie quickly stopped haha) Loves! Have a good week

Chris and Hay said...

You have to keep posting! I love being updated. It sounds way fun!! And a school of the arts is perfect! Did you find yourself a senator's son at the Nordstroms? that would make for a convenient stop! Miss you- and i think you owe me an email

Rob and Mare said...

Yay! I've been waiting for this post. Do you have a bed yet??? I've been worrying about that:( Also, I hear you have another blog? Address please:) Sounds like you're having fun. Keep us all updated!

Kelly said...

I am not worried about your potential TB, your ghetto fabulous living arrangements, or your shoes. I'm worried about your sanity. YOU BOUGHT AN OBAMA SHIRT?!

Lindsey P. said...

Let me just tell you how jealous I am you are in DC for the Inauguration! Miss you and hope you are having fun in DC.